Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sigh

Tomorrow is going to be a challenging day.  I found out that I will be having a new student who barely speaks English.  Apparently she can read and understand English, but struggles with speech.  Honestly, I'm not even sure what language she speaks. At first I wasn't worried, because I am technically a reading teacher- that one thing she is good at!  However, she still has to understand what I am saying in order to grasp the concept I am wanting her to learn.  This will absolutely be an adventure- hopefully a positive one!  Even English speaking students would struggle to come into a class after 5 weeks, so I know she will have to work extra hard.  She will work much harder than I will, I am sure.

On a more funny  note, today we discussed characters and characterization.  Because of my love of Disney and all things child-like, I immediately took all of my examples from Disney stories.  For instance, I asked them to name the "main" character in Aladdin (Aladdin, duh :).  When I asked them for the "minor" characters, they listed off the appropriate characters: Genie, Jafar, Jasmine, Abu (the monkey), etc.  During my fifth hour, this conversation happened:

          Student 1: "That monkey was a Jew, right?  Because of that thing on his head?"

          Student 2: "No, they wear Hanukkahs!"



Sigh.


-Mrs. Combs 

No comments:

Post a Comment