Thursday, August 29, 2013

End of the World

The other day, I went to the office to copy worksheets that substitutes can use in case I am ever gone from school.  As I was making copies, I realized that the front/back sheet wasn't copied correctly- the back was upside down.  My first reaction was annoyance, followed by the realization that this one, small detail, could cause pandemonium for the substitute.  People, this is why sixth grade drives me crazy!  I know my students well enough to predict that 1/2 of them will raise their hand and announce to the sub that "THE PAGE IS MESSED UP!!"  1/8 of them will do the same, though they will not raise their hands.  1/8 will calmly complete the assignment, and the last 1/4 will be utterly and completely lost when they encounter the upside down page.  It will be the end of the world.

This  situation caused me to think about other "end of the world" situations we have every day in middle school. 

1. Someone left a pencil on my desk.
2. He's looking at me funny.
3. My locker won't open.
4. There are 2 "number 3s" on this test.
5. The date isn't right on the board.
6. The pencil sharpener ate my pencil.
7. Someone wrote on my book.
8. She's touching me.
9. We are the LAST ones to go to lunch!
10. He's still looking at me!

Mind you,  each of these situations brings class to a screeching halt.  Oh, the joys of middle school!

-Mrs. Combs

PS- In real life, I would never start a sentence with a fraction.  Please withhold judgment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment