Monday, August 19, 2013

Living the Dream

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to teach. Honestly, I never really considered any other career.  In high school, I shadowed an occupational therapist, and after approximately fifteen seconds, I knew it wasn't for me.  I probably would have shadowed my English teacher, but when you shadow a teacher, you still have to go to school.  I wasn't about to give up a free day.  I may love education, but a day off is a day off!

As I mentioned previously, I always knew that I wanted to teach.  I also knew that I wanted to teach English. (Feel free to judge my grammar from this point onward.  I realize that I lose all credibility at the first misplaced modifier or missing comma.)

If you don't make mistakes, you won't make anything.    

As I completed my internships in college, I realized exactly what I wanted to teach. My dream was to teach sophomore English in a small, rural high school near my hometown.

So here I am, teaching sixth grade Language Arts at a school that has nearly 200 sixth graders.  If someone had told me I would be in this position 5 months ago, I would have laughed.  A lot.  Then I would have questioned their sanity.  This position met none of my "non-negotiables," but I couldn't be happier.  Somehow, I accidentally landed a job in one of the best districts in the state!  (Seriously, look it up.  We rock!)

Thus far, teaching has been the most exhausting, frustrating, and hilarious things I have ever done.  In my copious amount of free time, I'll fill you in on the crazy antics that go on in my classroom.

My first rookie mistake?

Nearly disciplining a female student for not moving to a new seat after asking her to move multiple times.  Turns out, her name wasn't Claire....

Next year, I will learn student names sooner, rather than later!

-Mrs. Combs



1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! :-) This makes me very happy ... almost suggested that you start a blog! Will add you to my blog list on "bloglovin" so I don't miss anything ... Love ya, Hannah

    ReplyDelete