Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Good, the Bad, and the Smelly.

I've only been teaching for 7 days, and I can list about 7,000 things that I will be doing differently next year.  (That statement is not so much an exaggeration as it is factual.)

Rookie mistake #2

Giving too many warnings!

Even though half of my students already consider to be mean, I suppose I haven't been stern enough. Maybe that stems from having two adorable middle school brothers?  Either way, I've got a slight case of carpal tunnel that I'm nursing after filling out referral sheets today.  The exhausting part is- all of them came from the same hour!  Hopefully tomorrow they will take me a little more seriously.  In their defense, the poor kiddos have had to pre-test nearly all week, and we are all dying to move on to something more active and fun.  For once, I'm ready for Monday!

Although I have one class that drives me up the wall, there are so many things that I love about my job.  For instance, every hour, we teachers stand at the door to greet our students.  Right next to where I stand are the lockers of three of the smallest, sweetest sixth graders I've ever met.  The girl is so tiny and fragile that she can NEVER get her locker open. (In her defense, the lockers are 50+ years old).  Between every single class, the boys beside her struggle to open their lockers, then immediately work to open hers.  Then, one of them usually walks her to class.  They are the perfect gentlemen! One of them may be her brother, but that almost makes it sweeter.  Today, one of the boys came up to me and asked if I had seen another female sixth grader in our hall. When I told him that she was already on the bus, he said that he just wanted to make sure she could get her locker open, because he heard it was stuck earlier.  My heart melted.  

Oops, I've stayed up much too late tonight, but I'd like to share a few things that I have learned thus far:

1. Candy rewards will likely backfire.
2. It is impossible for 22 students to simply say, 'here.'
3. Nothing breaks up a circle like passed gas. 

-Mrs. Combs

No comments:

Post a Comment