Thursday, January 30, 2014

Drama, Drama

Although I highlight mostly positive things in my posts, there are many things about my classes and certain students that stress me out.  For instance, we are currently dealing with a student who has been refusing to work for several days now.  He will look me straight in the eye and throw an assignment away, or refuse to read, even when I sit right next to him and point at the words.  Now, I would understand if he was incapable of reading or writing, but he can absolutely do both.  It's enough to make my blood boil.  I would feel better (still not good) about failing him, if I didn't know that his home life is a mess, and that he is considered homeless.  Trying to be sympathetic but tough is very difficult.  Hopefully we can turn him around soon!

Another thing that is a struggle from time to time is the constant blurting.  I would say I have decent classroom management, and my kids are definitely learning, but sometimes my kiddos translate my "coolness" as relaxed-ness.  I generally spend at least 5 minutes of each hour making ridiculous threats to hush them up.
"Logan, do you want me to become BFFs with your mom?   No?  Then do your bell work quietly."  See?  Ridiculous.
Anyway, I was thinking that it was too late to get the reigns back until...I talked to my new mentor and she recommended being completely dramatic about writing refferal sheets.  For the most part, I'd dealt with individual kids quietly, on the side, trying not to embarrass them.  I'm a softy.  Today, I tried her system, and it ROCKED!  Basically, here's how it works:
1. Set expectation: Example: No talking during bell work.
2. The first time someone talks during bell work, throw your hands up, stop class in its tracks and apologize to everyone for the delay, but there is something you MUST do!
3. Dramatically pull out a referral sheet, scrunch your brow and make it very obvious that you are writing something down.
4. Include the class by having them confirm details like "Today is the 30th, right?"  " Annndd....we're in 3rd hour?"
5. Don't laugh.
6. Once you are finished, apologize to the class once more for taking away so much of their valuable time, and continue with the lesson.
It sounds crazy, but it really works!  Everyone was so shocked that the rest of each hour was smooth and productive.  Even though I didn't start out the year this tough, I know that if I continue doing this from time to time, I will have so muh more time to teach!  Don't worry though, they are still my homies.

-Mrs. Combs

No comments:

Post a Comment