Saturday, January 18, 2014

Logic and Science

For those of you who do not use Facebook, I thought I would post a funny student response that I received yesterday.  As I mentioned before, we are currently reading Holes, by Louis Sachar.  In the book, the main character, Stanley, is described as overweight.  This fact must have really stuck out to one of my kiddos.

Q: Stanley's father was smart and had perseverance.  What did he not have and why?
A: A skinny son named Stanley.  Because Stanley always finished his food.

According to the book, the answer was "luck," but this was so unintentionally genius that I let it slide.  The funniest part is that I am certain he wasn't trying to be funny.   This was his legitimate answer!

On another note, I have a student in my fourth hour who is obsessed with school and everything scientific- so much so that he tends to ruin our fictional stories.  When reading "All Summer in a Day," in which a group of people live on Venus where it rains for seven years at a time, he informed the class that this story would be impossible.  Anyone who is anyone knows that rain on Venus would be acidic!  He has also decided to let the class know that the yellow spotted lizards (an important element in Holes) are not actually deadly like the book says they are.  Sigh.  I never know for sure whether he is right or wrong, but he says it with such conviction that I always believe him.  Next he is going to tell us Santa isn't real!

-Mrs. Combs

No comments:

Post a Comment