Sunday, June 1, 2014

School's out for the summer....right?

The school year is over and summer is here!!
Well, almost.

During the month of June, I will be teaching summer school.  And not just summer school...summer school for 4th graders! It will be an entirely new experience.  My certification is only for grades 6-12, so I'm really scraping the bottom of my expertise barrel. I'll be in a new school with younger kids in someone else's classroom (probably the weirdest part).  Fortunately, I was given the "reading comprehension" class, rather than math or phonics- I would have really been out of my league then!  It looks like I will have 14-15 kids at a time for 30 minutes a day, with 5 total classes.  I am hoping that 30 minutes will be long enough for us to learn, but short enough for us to have few behavior problems.  Fingers crossed that these kids are similar to 6th graders in most ways.   

I was planning on changing my blog's name from "Rookie Mistake" to "Totally Professional and Experienced," but I'll wait until AFTER summer school to make that change.  I have a feeling I'll be learning quite a bit over the next four months.  

Here's to more silly mistakes and getting more teaching experience under my belt!  I'll keep you updated :)

-Mrs. Combs
(or should I be "Mrs. Kerry" for elementary kids??)


No comments:

Post a Comment