Tuesday, July 22, 2014

ReadysetGO!

As far as I'm concerned, school is back in session.  Truth be told, the kids won't show up until August 12.  However, now that Kyle and I are back from the beach, I have officially gotten the back to school butterflies!  I spent time in my classroom today, working 1/2 of a million little projects (as usual), and finally settled on just one: my classroom library.

Last year, my library consisted of the Hunger Games and about 50 ridiculously old books just thrown on a shelf with some bookends slapped on the end (where else?).  Until the middle of the year that I realized I hadn't even alphabetized them...and I never did.  Hopefully adding some organization will clear up a few hundred of the "Mrs. Combs, where's that book I read yesterday?" issues.  It drives me crazy thinking about how much time I spent scouring for students' MIRP books.  It's time for change.

Obviously, the school library is always available, so my library doesn't need to be huge.  What it does need is organization and shine (worn out books don't attract readers).  Thanks to my adventure in elementary land, I realized that these kiddos are used to having their books organized in bins.  I was unsure of using bins originally, because I thought they should use a legitimate library system.  I've now decided to let the ACTUAL library give them that exposure, and keep mine simple.

I've got a long way to go before it's all in order, but here's what I have so far!

 Thanks, Dollar Tree!
I can't wait to share the final result!

-Mrs. C

No comments:

Post a Comment