Saturday, October 4, 2014

You're mine too, Tod

Since my last blog, our classroom's airconditioning has gone out two more times.  Seriously.  Thankfully, it hasn't taken weeks to fix as it did the first time around.  It IS frustrating not knowing whether I can wear boots and a scarf, or if I should stick to a dress and sandals though. :) #girlieteacherprobs

We have been having so much fun at Madison lately!  

On September 26, we had our yearly fundraiser, also known as the Painted Mustang Run.  It is a 5k color run for the kiddos that takes place during school hours.  On the day of the run, we basically shut down school and have a big ol' party!  I was able to go out and participate this year, and I am so glad I did!  I didn't run the 5k, but I DID get to throw color on kiddos as they ran by, which was extremely rewarding and therapeutic!  After the 5k, the party continued with inflatable games, dunk tanks, pizza, snowcones, carnival rides, the works!  My favorite part of the day was being able to just hang out.  Many of my original babies (this year's seventh graders) hung out with me and challenged me to several of the games.  It was such a messy, fun, day!  For pictures, check out this album from  Madison's Facebook page: Painted Mustang Run

Can you guess what color I threw? 

We also had a lot of fun dressing up for Homecoming this week!  Although I was gone for two of the days, I was able to participate in "Crazy Hat Day," "Professional Day," and "Decade Day" with the kids.  Decade Day was probably the most fun, even though this young lady and I accidently had matching hairdos.  Kids like her make my world go 'round! <3


You can find more goofy photos here!  (I am always very cautious about posting pictures of kids on my personal pages, but if the school has them posted, I'll gladly point you to them!)

I know I've said this before, but even though I really really really love my kids from last year, our group this year is just an easier, sweeter, group to work with.  This gives us more opportunity to have fun and try new things in class.  One thing I've started doing is allowing my Pre-AP kiddos to read outside during our MIRP time every so often.  They find a spot, get comfy, and read steadily for the entire 15-20 minutes.  (Last year, 3/4 might have read, while the other 1/4 would have dug holes or thrown dirt and bugs at eachother!)  The last time we had outdoor reading time, the cutest thing happened.  Those who follow my Facebook have already seen this picture, but it's too cute not to share again.  While all of the other students sat up against the building in rows, these buddies wanted to hang out on the grass.  It was a little chilly, so they used eachother to help stay warm.  My heart melted when I saw them!  They stayed together the entire time!



All I could think about was...


These kids make going to work easy!  Can ya tell I like 'em?  I can't wait to see them again on Monday.  Due to a Pre-AP conference, I was gone Thursday and Friday.  Being gone terrifies me because I assume they are going to push every boundary and destroy the room.  I mean, that's what WE did in school!  Not only was I gone, but I was gone for two days in a row.  In my head, that meant that the substitute would end up pulling her hair out, and books would be thrown around the room.  (Ok, so that's extreme.  I DID expect to find negative notes about several students and/or work not completed.)  When I checked out my room yesterday after the conference, I found that all of the assignments were neatly stacked on my desk with labels, the classroom was in order, and no negative notes were written at all!  I'm still in shock.  Let it be known, that on October 3, 2014, Mrs. Combs fell in love with 56 students, and found a substitute for life.  

-Mrs. Combs



No comments:

Post a Comment