Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The M word

Sometimes the way we middle school teachers talk to kids makes me laugh.  We are trying to create responsible young adults, though we realize that we are still technically working with babies.  I have learned that the easiest way to achieve this is to phrase "hardcore" topics in baby terminology (much of this learned from other teachers!).

For example, we expect sixth graders to have some level of maturity.  If our novel has a curse word, we expect them to roll with it.  If the topics are deep, we need them handle them properly- not dramatically.  Somewhere along the line, I started referring to maturity as an object that the kids have.  "Okay kids, today you need your maturity.  Who brought theirs?" or "Alright, get your maturity out of your pocket.  We are going to use it!"  (Of course the kiddos WANT to be mature, so they don't call me out on how ridiculous I sound.)  

It is interesting to see how my classes use their maturity.  Pre-AP kids have theirs on them all the time.  They never leave it in their lockers.  My traditional English kiddos almost ALWAYS forget to bring theirs to class.  They need consistent reminders.  My 5th hour English?  Er, I don't think it was on the supply list.  I will have to add that next year.

What I love about it, is that they accept the fact that maturity is expected.  They know what it implies, even if they need reminders.  While reading our novel yesterday, a curse word did, in fact, appear.  Five wide-eyed kiddos looked at me to see what I would do.  All I needed to say was, "Oh, no worries. We brought our maturity, so we can handle this!"  They gave me big nods...almost as if to say, "Yes!  We ARE mature!"  

Another instance occurred today when I was attempting to explain the rules for Grudgeball- the world's most awesome classroom game.  When I looked around the room, I noticed that two kids had switched seats just to see what I would do. (Aren't they so clever!?)  I stopped mid-instruction and said "Ah man...I really hoped we could play today.  Unfortunately, this game requires maturity.  I see that some of us did not bring it today.  Bummer!  Looks like we will have to try again another day." Immediately, the room was silent.  The two kids swapped back, and NO ONE argued.  It was amazing.  They all just looked intensely disappointed in themselves.  (WIN! :)  

Maybe someday I'll get to play Grudgeball with that group.  I was actually really disappointed that we couldn't play!  They get so intensely competitive that they don't even realize they are learning.  Until then, I'll enjoy my FALL BREAK!

-Mrs. Combs


No comments:

Post a Comment